Lucas coil: different?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas coil: different?
From: SDTilton@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 17:48:41 -0500
Hey SOL mates,

The original Lucas coil on my TR-4 is giving me a few problems.  One of the
termials came off and was soldered back on, but it keeps loosening back up.
This makes poor contact between the coil and the distributor.  Not to metion
the fact that high tension lead is one of the old screw in types and the wire
coming from my distributor is the newer push in type.

So I dug into the ignition parts box and tried out a couple of differnt coils
with better connections on them.  They worked like crap!!!!   A few hundred
yards down the road the engine would start missing.  I'd let it cool off a
second and then it would run fine for another couple of hundred yards.

I put the Lucas coil back in and rigged it a little (again) and it works fine
(for now).

What's the difference between those aftermarket coils and the Lucas one?
 They all came off TR-4's that I've had.  The only thing I can figure is that
I remember some of them having external restors on the mounting brackets.
 (which I did not include in today's coil swapping sessions)

Can somebody explain this stuff to me?   I'm gonna have to buy a new coil
sometime soon.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Tilton in Richmond VA