RE: Jag XKE: Should I buy it, walk away, or run away?

To: BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Jag XKE: Should I buy it, walk away, or run away?
From: PATRICK KREJCIK <PKR@SLACVM.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 12:13 -0800 (PST)
>I'm looking for some advice on the possible purchase of a
>1967 Jaguar XKE 2+2 4.2L.  The owner is asking $9000 but will negotiate.
>Have not yet seen the car (it's in New York).  Some of the particulars,
>according to the owner:

  $9k is a little high. You can get a rust free California car for
that much. $7k is more reasonable.

>*Minor rust on rear quarter panels and rockers panels, roof in primer.
> Haven't got word on whether there's any rust on frame or evidence
> of collision repair, but I am assuming no major gotchas here.

 No such thing as "minor" rust! Sounds dodgy, especially the roof.

>*100K miles on car, 20K since engine top-end rebuilt (valves ground or
> replaced) and two pistons/rings replaced.  Says it runs strong, no
> noises or smoke

 Why did he only do 2 pistons? Stingy on maintenace? Look carefuuly
at oil pressure.

>*Original leather interior in good condition
>*Car in general is supposed to be very original.  Has original radio,
> tools, owner's manual.  Good chrome.
>*Recent clutch and brake work.  Carbs rebuilt.

Good, its not an atomatic 2+2. Triple carbs I hope

>Is this a reasonable price?  I've always loved XKEs but have
>always been afraid of Jaguars, which has been reinforced by
>reading some of the horror stories posted here.
>
>Is the 4.2 engine as unreliable as the 12 Cyl? Would I be looking
>at spending more than the purchase price to make this a presentable,
>driveable car (NOT a show car)?  Is this car put together any
>better than the notorious 70s-early 80s Jags?

A mid sixties Jag is well engineered and extremely reliable IF
well maintained.

>In short, should I:
>(1) buy [after more investigation],
>(2) walk away, or
>(3) run away!!!
>Cast your vote today!

1! but at a price closer to $6k because it sounds like there's
a lot to be done. (3) if it shows accident damage, bent frame etc.
Its a 2+2, not as sought after because of its appearance,
but still a lot of fun.

Cheers, Patrick.