Jag XKE: Should I buy it, walk away, or run away?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Jag XKE: Should I buy it, walk away, or run away?
From: "daniel (d.) eskenazi" <dve@bnr.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 15:44:00 -0500
Hey Y'all SOLs (that's how they talk in North Carolina),

I'm looking for some advice on the possible purchase of a
1967 Jaguar XKE 2+2 4.2L.  The owner is asking $9000 but will negotiate.
Have not yet seen the car (it's in New York).  Some of the particulars,
according to the owner:

*Minor rust on rear quarter panels and rockers panels, roof in primer.
 Haven't got word on whether there's any rust on frame or evidence
 of collision repair, but I am assuming no major gotchas here.
*100K miles on car, 20K since engine top-end rebuilt (valves ground or
 replaced) and two pistons/rings replaced.  Says it runs strong, no
 noises or smoke
*Original leather interior in good condition
*Car in general is supposed to be very original.  Has original radio,
 tools, owner's manual.  Good chrome.
*Recent clutch and brake work.  Carbs rebuilt.
*Current owner has had it for one year, and doesn't drive
 it much (not tagged, but says it drives fine).  Kept in heated storage.
 Says he is the third owner.
*Only problems (other than paint/rust) divulged by owner are worn out
 tires and exhaust.

Is this a reasonable price?  I've always loved XKEs but have
always been afraid of Jaguars, which has been reinforced by
reading some of the horror stories posted here.

Is the 4.2 engine as unreliable as the 12 Cyl? Would I be looking
at spending more than the purchase price to make this a presentable,
driveable car (NOT a show car)?  Is this car put together any
better than the notorious 70s-early 80s Jags?

In short, should I:
(1) buy [after more investigation],
(2) walk away, or
(3) run away!!!
Cast your vote today!

Cheers,

Daniel "Already have a Healey, don't I have enough headaches?"
Eskenazi - dve@bnr.ca - Bell Northern Research, RTP, North Carolina

P.S. - Sorry to those who are getting tired of the "Should I buy this
Jaguar?" threads, but I'm not on the Jag list (yet!) And I haven't
seen much recent discussion of older Jags.