Re: Aston Martin DB6

To: Vintagemg@aol.com
Subject: Re: Aston Martin DB6
From: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 09:37:32 GMT

Jay,

Good DB6s go for about Pounds 35-40,000 in the UK at present, though I don't
know what the going rate is in the US.

If the chassis and body are  rotten, I would say forget it, and break the
car for parts - it's worth quite a lot for that. There are a lot of DB6s
around. The suspension rots, too, believe it or not!

I had a 1968 DB6 Vantage and it was a nice car - fast and stylish, but
handled like a truck. It's just too heavy for the engine, which in my view
lacks torque. The dynamics never seemed right - to get it going you had to
rev the engine, which felt like it was going to break, although it never
did. The Jaguar has more low down torque, and for my taste is more
satisfying to drive.

If the chassis/body are solid, it's worth a rebuild, but it will cost you a
lot. You can still get all the bits from Newport Pagnell, over the counter!
The engine will be seized, and a rebuild will cost you 000s, even if you do
it yourself. I've got a set of exhaust valves I'll sell you! The ZF
transmission is strong, if noisy.

A DB5 is the usual choice for a racer over here, as they are lighter.
Don't be surprised if you are beaten by TRs and Midgets! They seem to hold
together, but again, engine blow-ups are expensive.

Good luck,

Paul.