RE- Right Angle Drive

To: "Peter Schauss" <Pschauss@aol.com>
Subject: RE- Right Angle Drive
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 9 Jan 1995 11:29:44 U
   RE: Right Angle Drive
Peter Schaus writes:

-----
The right angle drive for the speedometer on my Healey is broken.
The short square shaft which mates with the shaft coming out of
the overdrive unit broke off inside the right angle drive.    I noticed
that The Healey Surgeons sell rebuilt units ($68.50 with a core)
so these are evidently rebuildable.  Near as I can tell it has only
two moving parts.  Has anyone ever tried to rebuild one?
If so, where can you get parts?
-----

  This is not something I have personally done, but I have been
told that the Atlanta A-H club has covered this in local tech
sessions.  The trick seems to be to pry the right angle drive
open and replace a piece of flexible cable.  Apparently the unit
is not a gear, but just a small piece of speedo cable soldered in
to the driven end, with the square tip bent 90 degrees and coming
out of the other end.  Moral:  don't throw away old speedo cables!

Dave L.