Largest Wheel/Tyre advice sought for an MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Largest Wheel/Tyre advice sought for an MGB
From: tsg_bhl@opco.enet.dec.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 20:00:02 PST
    Hi all,

    This is my 1st post to this so if its inappropriate please let me know.

    I'm building/heavily modifying an 1967 MGB roadster. The cars been
    being built for many years now and is probably only 9 months from
    completion.

    Since the list of changes is too big to mention completely I'll just
    give a quick overview (MG purists should leave now 8-) )

    Body: Removal of all trim/bumpers. addition of front spoiler.
          Entire body/chassis back to bare metal and painted with the
          Midnight Blue of the current Honda Prelude.

    Chassis: reinforced and seam/stitch-welded. Full Chrome-Moly roll cage.

    Diff: Cut down ford 9" with aluminum centre and full floating axles.

    Gearbox: Getrag 5 speed..same as what came in the BMW 635CSI

    Motor: Rover 3.5L V8 using a crank from the locally built Leyland V8 to
           bring the capacity up to 4.4L. 9:1 compression. Late model 3.9L
           rods. Cosworth Forged pistons. Roller-rockers . Race Cam.
           Dry sumped. Crank Girdle.

           Induction is with a custom built manifold running one injector
           per cylinder controlled by a MOTEC (Australian brand) computer.
           The MOTEC does spark timing and fuel timing all computer mapped.
           Needless to say there is no distributor.

           To cap it all of is a single turbocharger running between
           7-20PSI of boost. HP should be about 400 on 94 Octane leaded
           petrol..and 600+ on 100 Octane.

    Suspension:
    Rear:  5 link rear end with coil-over shocks/springs
    Front: Hand fabricated front crossmember/A-arms with Magnesium uprights
           etc

    Brakes:
    Rear: Ford 11" ventilated discs with single spot calipers.
    Front: 13=" ventilated discs with 4 spot calipers

    The car will be road-registered and road-driven (In Australia)...
    I intend to do hill-climbs,drag racing, road-rallys and just plain
    drive it.

    The bit missing from above of course is wheels. This is where I'm
    looking for help. The rear end will run slight tubs and I will be able
    to fit 10" wide rims with a 255-265 width tyre without problem.
    On the front is where I'm stuck. Simmons wheels in Australia make
    beautiful 3-piece magnesium wheels so my brand is pretty much fixed.
    I want to fit 18" x 7" wheels on the front with a 235 width tyre, since
    this is the skinniest 18" tyre you can buy (as far as I know). From
    looking at the MG and various books I reckon a 205 is a pretty tight
    fit. I can fold/remove the front guards inner lip ,and given the
    suspension will be fairly stiff ,and also hand-made with wheels made to
    any offset I desire, I reckon the 205 should fit no problem....The 235
    may be another story however. Given the money I'm spending I'd love to
    fit the 18" rims.

    Has anyone experience/advice concerning 205 or larger width
    tyres????...I've seen stacks of pictures of MG race cars and they would
    appear to have very wide tyres on the front....On a race car however
    maybe a little bit of tyre fouling is acceptable....

    Any advice greatly appreciated.

    Thanks heaps

    Byron Lister (TSG_BHL@OPCO.ENET.DEC.COM)