Re: TR4 gasket compound

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 gasket compound
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 02:06:46 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 30 Dec 1994, Paul Swengler wrote:

> As the TR 2,3,4 are all wet sleeve engines they *require* head gasket
>compound.
> I've seen green coolant shoot out the exaust and exaust shoot out the
> radiator of a TR3 when the head wasn't sealed.  Kinda exciting...

The factory shop manuals say to use gasket cement, but normally it isn't
necessary.  The kind of leakage you described shouldn't happen, with or
without gasket goo.  If it does, check how far above the block surface the
liners protrude.  Should be .003 in. - .005 in. (0.08 mm - 0.13 mm)
measured after an initial head torquing to compress the figure eight
gaskets at the bottoms of the liners.

If the liner protrusion is more than that, then the gasket will seal the
cylinders but not the water passages.  You're likely to see coolant
seeping from the block/head interface.

If the protrusion is less than specified, then the cylinders won't be
sealed adequately.  You're likely to get combustion gas in the coolant,
and in bad cases, coolant sucked into the cylinders.

In mild cases gasket cement may help, but the longest-lasting solution is
to make sure the liner protrusion is within specs.  If not, machine the
liners or the deck as needed to correct matters.

Chip Old   <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>