Re: Spitfire Clutch Internal Spring

To: SeanFJohns@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire Clutch Internal Spring
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 08:42:24 -0800 (PST)
SeanFJohns@aol.com wrote:
> cylinder springs?  Mine is broken in three pieces, but otherwise the cylinder
> is fine.  A mechanic told me that when he replaces these cylinders  the
> spring is usually the culprit, so getting a spring from the junkyard probably
> isn't a good idea.  Sorry TRF, but I don't want to spend $100 for a new

*** Funny, I've always found the clutch cylinders, both slave & master, to
be a wear point in all of my cars.  As a rule I have to replace `em  because
the bores are worn out. Somebody told me that people press the clutch pedal
five
times for every time they press the brake pedal.  This was a special bummer
with the MGA, which has a dual Lockheed cylinder ( brake & clutch are just two
holes in a single cast iron block ).  Lucky I bought it 12 years ago.  Anybody
priced MGA dual masters lately?  Yee-ouch!

   I don't know if stainless steel would be a good idea for a spring;  SS
tends to be somewhat brittle. I've heard of people with british motorcycles
getting SS exhaust systems, and then being unpleasantly surprised when they
cracked from the vibration.

   Maybe a parts house would be interested in manufacturing an uprated
spring ( TRF are you there?  Hint,hint.... ).

                            - Jerry Kaidor