Spitfire Clutch Internal Spring

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Clutch Internal Spring
From: SeanFJohns@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 22:50:25 -0500
Does anybody have a source for NOS (new old stock) Spitfire clutch master
cylinder springs?  Mine is broken in three pieces, but otherwise the cylinder
is fine.  A mechanic told me that when he replaces these cylinders  the
spring is usually the culprit, so getting a spring from the junkyard probably
isn't a good idea.  Sorry TRF, but I don't want to spend $100 for a new
cylinder to replace a $1 spring.
I'd pay considerably more than a buck to prevent paying the $100..

Anybody who wants to fabricate these things: the wire is .045 dia.  The free
length of the spring is 3.0 inches, there are 10 turns plus the end turns,
the ends are ground flat, the i.d. of the coil is about .472.  The o.d. is
about .562.  If it's possible, let's make it from stainless steel and avoid
the stress corrosion failures of the OEM "music wire" spring.

Anybody who knows a comparable replacement from another vehicle would also be
welcome.  My Spit isn't going anywhere without a clutch cylinder.  Thanks in
advance.

Sean F. Johnson