RE TR4 Compression etc.

To: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Subject: RE TR4 Compression etc.
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 29 Dec 1994 09:26:19 U
   RE  TR4 Compression etc.
Dean Mericas writes:

> would appreciate opinions regarding:

> 1.  Suitable sealants for the head gasket and other gaskets

I've used Hylomar as well as Permatex silicone based "Ultra Copper"
gasket sealers with good results.  I think I like the silicone stuff
a little better, but I have no complaints about the effectiveness
of Hylomar.  J C Whitney sells it, as well as many other places.

I never put gasket compound on head or manifold gaskets.

> 2.  Threadlocking and anti-seaze products for the various fasteners

I just got the silver-colored stuff that said "anti-seize" on
the tube -- available at any parts store.  For thread locking, I
use locktite blue (I forget the part number), it's the stuff that
doesn't require a fire wrench to remove.  Funny thing is, it comes
in a red tube, and the red stuff is the PERMANENT locking compound,
so read the label carefully.  I dunno what color tube the red
locktite comes in.

> 3.  Best method for cleaning up the outsides of the carburators without
> going to the extreme of polishing them to an (IMHO) unnatural shine.

I used 00 steel wool and kerosene -- removed the gunk quickly
without too much polishing.

Dave Lapham         HEALEY@OAKHILL.SPS.MOT.COM         Austin, TX

The careful application of terror is also a form of communication!