Re: engine removal?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine removal?
From: RLDesign@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 17:41:24 -0500
> Is engine removal easier or more difficult with the
> transmission attached?  Howmuch time is required?

I've pulled engines both ways on MGBs, and depending on whther you have a
helper or not, it's probably easier to remove the engive with transmission.
This assumes you have a hoist where the angle of the dangling engine can be
altered via a turnbuckle of some sort. The biggest problem is getting it high
enough at the front and not creaming the bulkhead with the top of the bell
housing.

The problem with unbolting the transmission and then removing the engine is
not so much during removal. It's getting the the first motion shaft back into
the flywheel through the clutch when you put it back. It's a fairly
touchy/close tolerance type of thing, which is much easier when it's sitting
on the floor in front of the car.

As for time, it took me 8 hours to remove my first engine, being careful and
following every step in the workbooks. I can now have one sitting on the
ground in all its oily glory in about 1-2 hours, depending on recalcitrant
bolts, etc.

Good opportunity, BTW, to change all of the leaking gaskets...:>