LOTD

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: LOTD
From: LUCE@KRDC.INT.ALCAN.CA
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 15:54:41 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 15 Dec 1994, James D. Howard II wrote:

>> My neighbors Nissan Pathfinder's starter was very easy to get to.
>> Good thing, too, because you had to partially remove it to change the
>> oil filter.

> Thanks for my LOTD (laugh of the day).
> Judith Winter

How's this for humourous?  The first time I tried to change the oil filter
on my '86 Volvo 740 Turbo, I spent an upsetting _hour_ under the car trying
in vain to get the filter off of the car.  I mean, it unscrewed from the
engine OK, but then it was trapped in a maze of pipes, frame members, etc.
and I couldn't figure out how it came out.  Extremely frustrating, and I
felt like an idiot as I crawled into the dealer to ask for the magic key to
what should have been a simple, obvious task.  "Oh", says the dealer, "you
have to remove the mounting bolts for the power steering pump, swing it up
out of the way, then you can pull the filter out the front of the car".  It
turned out that Volvo had installed the wrong turbocharger oil drain line
on a number of cars (including mine), and that a retrofit was available
which routed that line around the filter, allowing it's removal without
disassembly of the rest of the engine.  Amazingly, the local dealer had
happily gone to the trouble of taking the PS pump off several times to do
oil changes during the warantee period, rather that make the factory
recommended modification!!

Cheers,
Bomber