Re: Re[2]: what's in a name

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (SOL)
Subject: Re: Re[2]: what's in a name
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 16:54:28 CST
W. Ray Gibbons writes:
> US                          UK                      Ozark
>
> Tires                     Tyres                    Tars

It ain't just the Ozarks.  I was on jury duty a while back, and they
brought in a good ol' boy from the country to testify.  When asked what
his line of work was, the g.o.b. replied, "I'm in the tar bidness."  A few
questions later, it became clear from context that he owned a tire store,
but I thought he really worked with tar (asphalt).  And it wasn't just me;
other jurors later admitted similar confusion.

> As in, "You kin have them tars out yonder..."

"Not today, ah'm a-too tar'd t'git 'em nay-ow.  Ah'll git 'em next tahm
ah'm 'round he-ah."

I've been here 25 years, and thought I spoke the language.
Obviously not...
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA