Mini wheels and carbs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Mini wheels and carbs
From: Anthony Shaughnessy <Anthony.Shaughnessy@isltd.insignia.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 12:05:17 GMT
Hi

A couple of Mini questions (I would have sent them to the MINI mailing list,
but I'm still waiting for a reply to my request to be added to the list!).

I've just been given a set of very nice 10" minilite lookalike wheels. The
question is, how can I tell whether I can just fit them, or whether I need
any spacers in to get the right offset? I got them off a car that was going to
be scrapped, and that car didn't have any spacers, but that doesn't mean that
they are not needed. My car is a bog standard 1980 Mini 1000. Also, what will
these wheels do to the life of my wheel bearings? I don't know what width the
wheels are,
but the tyres are 165 width (I think, from memory). I would guess the wheels
to be about 5" width. The car had been sitting in the same place for at least
18 months. The tyres look quite good, with plenty of tread, but one was
completely flat. Will this damage the tyre (assuming that there is no visible
damage) internally, and should I throw this tyre away?

I also got an SU carb off the same car with a Janspeed inlet manifold. The
manifold has a tube going from left to right (i.e. parallel with the engine).
The tube goes the whole width of the manifold, and is about 1/2" diameter. It
is located near the carb end of the manifold.
I can't tell whether the inlet runners are actually open to this pipe or not.
The pipe is open at both ends. What is the function of this pipe?

Anthony Shaughnessy
tonys@isltd.insignia.com

PS. It took me many weeks to get subscribed to this list and the Lotus list,
and so far it has taken many weeks, and I haven't yet been subscribed to the
mini list. Why so long?