Re: Weber Manifolds

To: triumph@io.org, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weber Manifolds
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 94 13:03:54 -0800
In message <Pine.BSI.3.91.941209105338.4444A-100000@bonk.io.org> Christopher
Ball writes:
> Randy Wilson's comment on the intake for the Spit 1500 Weber conversion
> puzzles me. Now Randy has probably forgotten more abour cars than I know in
> total, but my TMW (or is it TWM) intake is a very level run to all
> ports. It's even has a nice little underslung anti-vibration rod
> on it.

Christopher,
Can you describe the underslung anti-vibration rod to me pleeeaaassssssee
I have a pair of TWM intake manifolds for DCOEs.  One of them has a cast boss
that goes downwards and has a hole facing the engine block.  I have not been
able to figure out what it was there for.  The linkage kit that came with the
manifolds did not heve any extra stuff that looks like it went to the lower
boss.  Other than that the linkage looks as nice as any I have seen.

> Is there a different (inferior) product being sold?

I suspect you have a side draft manifold, and they are talking down draft
manifolds.  Though for the life of me I can figure out why someone would want to
pull SUs & put on downdrafts.  You are addig at least a right angle to what was
essentually a straight shot to the valve pocket.

> I think Webers are vastly mythologized . Well tuned SUs will
> match them on a standard engine. Unless you are going to do the
> valves, cam, port and polish etc., there's not much to be gained.
> (IMHO)  You can't just stick'em on unless you simply enjot looking
> at them

I have gone to too many vintage races I guess.  I just love the look of a row of
DCOEs.  AND I just HAD to have a car that had multiple DCOEs (Of course now if I
had a V-8/12 engine it would have been duel venturi downdrafts lined up between
the valve covers).  So the TR is getting DCOEs because I think they are cuter
than SUs.  But, realizing that all I would get is poorer petrol milage and maybe
lower power on the low end if I just poped DCOEs on, there is a header, matched
polished ports & valve pockets, oversize valves, more compression, a 280 degree
cam and the shrouding around the intake valve has been removed.  So the DCOEs
shouldn't be a total waste.

About the Holly clone of the small duel venturi down draft Webber (DRV?),
I believe the design was licensed from Weber by Holly and used in the Ford
Pintos & Merc Bobcats on the inline Ford 4cy during the 70s

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards