Re: Cleaning engine compartment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cleaning engine compartment
From: harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (Dick Harrold)
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 1994 10:46:24 -0500
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 94 15:59:33 GMT
From: lefloch@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Subject: Cleaning engine compartment

=== some text deleted ===

   There is a subject that I'd like to hear being discuted now:
   cleaning dirty engine compartment and front suspensions.

=== some text deleted ===

   Patrice Le Floch
   lefloch@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
   Queen Mary & Westfield College - London - UK
   LHD Spitfire 1500 '78

- - - - - clip here - - - - -
Patrice

I don't know if this will help, but I purchased a '61 Metropolitan three
years ago with 50,000 on the clock.  (It was built and assembled in Great
Britain and is powered by Austin.  Is "power" the correct word?)  The
history of this vehicle is a complete mystery to me other than that I found
a paper under the seat telling me that it had once been in the state of
Washington at a car show.  How did it get to Indiana?  Who knows.  While
inspecting this little beauty, I found that the undercarriage had
accumulated all kinds of grease, tar and dirt.

I used a commercially available engine cleaner under the bonnet and it
worked well.  It came in a pressure can and was washed away with water.  I
then put the Met high up on jack stands, removed the wheels and began a
tedious job of cleaning away the accumulated grime.  The Met has a zillion
grease nipples, all of which were hidden by clumps of hard, caked-on dirt.
I used anything I could find with a sharp point plus a wire brush and a
mixture of kerosene and "Gunk."  The "Gunk" brand cleaner is available at
most auto parts supply houses in the U.S. and comes in gallon tins.  It is
mixed about one part to ten parts of kerosene and acts as a degreasing
agent.  Use water to wash it off and then, once dry, it can be pained over.

I have used the "Gunk" mixture since the early '50s to clean parts and have
found it to be quite satisfactory.  I've even used it under pressure but
prefer to get directly into the job using sharp-pointed objects and a
brush.

Once the cleaning was done, I brush painted everything black on the
underside.  At least it has improved the appearance and offers some
protection against the elements.

This job was spread out over several evenings and was messy.  It isn't for
the faint of heart who expects quick, effortless results.  It takes a lot
of time and patience not to mention the many trips to use the eye wash.

Dick

Dick Harrold
HARROLD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Integrated Technologies
Indiana University at Indianapolis (IUPUI)