Cleaning engine compartment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Cleaning engine compartment
From: lefloch@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 94 15:59:33 GMT
      Hi,

      I've been reading this mailing list for a while now and I've
   found an invaluable amount of information. That's great specially when
   you are doing your first steps with british cars
   who said troubles ?  ... not me...

   There is a subject that I'd like to hear being discuted now:
   cleaning dirty engine compartment and front suspensions.

      I own a Spitfire 1500 (for nearly 6 months now !) and
   I need absolutely to clean it this winter specially the engine compartment
   and front suspension. They are rather dirty (mud, grease, burnt oil, ...).
   I'd rather prefer not to dismantle too much the car to carry out this,
   although fitting new front trunnions won't hurt...

      I intend to use pressure water, but I would be very grateful if anyone
   could recommend me what to watch out around the engine and what cleaning
   agents (well known brands so I could find them in the UK) I could use.

      I'm also thinking of fitting new tyres on my 5"x13 wheels. What are the
   best ones for best handling on dry and wet roads ?  175x70 ?

      Don't hesitate to reply directly to me.

   Thanks

   Patrice Le Floch
   lefloch@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
   Queen Mary & Westfield College - London - UK
   LHD Spitfire 1500 '78