Hello and Introduction

To: "Brit Car" <british-cars@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: Hello and Introduction
From: "JOERGER Mark D" <Mark.D.JOERGER@state.or.us>
Date: 08 Dec 94 16:26:53 -0700
Hello, all.  I've been active on the lotus-cars list for a few months
and now have some more general LBC questions and comments.

A friend recently purchased a partially completed replica (sort-of) of
a Lotus Eleven, made by Westfield.  The vehicle has a space frame with
stressed aluminum panels, and requires a 1275 spridget donor car for the
drive train and front suspension uprights.  He has all the spridget bits,
but the engine and trans need rebuilding.  His enthusiasm for the project
has dropped off a bit since the purchase, and I may take over its
completion.

My total experience with spridgets is based on a 1976 Midget 1500,
affectionately referred to as "That Sh*tbucket" by the local dealership.
My relationship with it was not good, although I kept it for five years.

Questions:

1) I think about 80 H.P. would do nicely for the car.  Can I get that
from the 1275 without running down mid-range street/autocross torque
too badly?  What books/sources do I trust for good modification info?

2) I have heard rumors of adapters for Japanese transmissions (5 speeds)
to bolt up to the 1275.  Any comments on availability and advisability?
I could keep the spridget rear end ratio and still cruise the Interstate!

3) The comments I've received from the Kitcar mailing list all indicate
that Westfield makes a nice product.  Anyone here have first or second-
hand experience?

     Mark Joerger
     mark.d.joerger@state.or.us
     Salem, Oregon USA