re: Cleaning/Degreasing

To: Colin Brace <BRACEC@a1.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject: re: Cleaning/Degreasing
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 10:13:27 -0500 (EST)
The tip Colin read would let insoluble material (e.g. sand) fall to the
bottom of the water.  However, most of the grunge is water insoluble,
which is why we use organic cleaners.  If the cleaner simply dissolves oil
and grease, but does not react with them to form water soluble compounds,
then I think the oil and grease will remain in the cleaner and will not
partition into the water.  Are there any chemists on the list who can say
authoritatively if this hint will or won't work?

Unless it works like a champ, you may not want to mix water and organic
solvents, because you may find it difficult to get rid of the mixture.  I
am told that used motor oil is acceptable to our waste center, but motor
oil with water in it is toxic waste and you pay big bucks to be rid of it.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910