Re: dead spring on a B

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: dead spring on a B
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 01:55:18 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 4 Dec 1994, Will Zehring wrote:

> As with shock absorbers, I assume that one only buys springs in pairs.  I'd
> rather not have to buy four new springs, but be a bit clever and figure out
> which one really is the culprit.  Is there a smart way to do this?  Should I
> just go ahead and assume that it is the rears?  Which springs are more
> likely to loose their essence?  Comments?  Advice?  Donations?

Coil springs usually sag before leaf springs, but by now both have
probably sagged somewhat.  If money is a problem, I'd replace the front
coil springs now and do the rear leaf springs later.

Yes, it is best to replace both springs in a pair.  If you replace only
the front left spring, then the car will probably list the other
way since the other front spring has almost certainly also sagged (though
not as much as the front left).

Chip Old   <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>