Re: BMIHT certificate

To: Daniel Heyer <heyer@imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.d400.de>
Subject: Re: BMIHT certificate
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 01:38:48 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 4 Dec 1994, Daniel Heyer wrote:

> Engine number              Originally: CT/50406-E
> stuff deleted]
> Other information          The present engine, type TS, is from a
>                            Triumph TR3A (capacity: 1991 cc) and
>                            dates to 1959 [TS 56594 E]
>
> Well... You probably noticed the naughty bit, as Monty Python's might
> put it: my car hasn't got the original engine! Why didn't I ever wonder
> about the bizarre engine number? Surprise, surprise. Maybe this is the
> reason why I just couldn't get a decent idle, not to speak about the
> high-rev hiccups, as the car is certainly TR4A from the manifold
> upwards with its double ZS carbs and the closed breather circuit...
> Thank you, PO! What an interesting puzzle to solve during those long
> and dark december evenings. Somehow this makes further decisions easy,
> as I will not stick to originality as close as I might have done with
> an original engine, but I will try to get a rebuilt TR4A engine with an
> unleaded head. These cost about DM 3.500 (US 2.150) around here on an
> exchange program with a 1 year warranty. Sigh...

Not to worry, for all practical purposes all TR2/3/4/4A engine blocks are
identical.  The displacement difference (1991 cc vs 2138 cc) is easily
remedied by installing 86 mm sleeves in place of the 83 mm TR3 sleeves.
In fact you may have 86 mm sleeves already.  Most TR2/3/3A engines I've
seen have been retrofitted with them.  A few of the accessories are
different, but are easily mixed and matched to make a TR3A engine look
like it belongs in your TR4A.  As you mentioned, the head and carbs are
different, but I can't think of any reason why running a TR4A head and Z-S
carbs on an earlier block would cause the problems you've described.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us