batteries/viruses

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: batteries/viruses
From: Lewis Dunbar Dove <mfldd@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 1994 09:20:49 -0600 (CST)
SOLs,
        I use a dumb terminal at home so that I don't have to worry
about viruses.  You can get one for nothing to 50 bucks and there is
no disk or hard drive to worry about corrupting.  I log on for the
cost of a local call and processing is as fast(?) as the XT clone I
have at school.  It even has a printer port that I don't use.  If
something appears that I want to save I print it out on the XT at
school.  Some day I will get a fancier computer so I can see those
wonderful graphics you folks have been storing. When I do, I to shall
face corruption.  Of course, as all SOLs know "with complexity comes
adversity, and therein lies madness".
        Obligatory LBC content: If the battery holder top frame is
missing on your MGB and you are worried about the posts shorting out
on the underside of the compartment cover, you can fashion/bodge a
suitable holder very inexpensively.  I used two flat pieces of metal
approx 1" wide and two threaded rods with washers and nuts I
purchased at the local hardware store. I drilled holes in the two
flat pieces and bolted them with one across the bottom of the battery
holder and one across the top of the battery running between the vent
caps so it would not short against the posts. I used the threaded
rods to hold the two pieces together, running the rods outside the
battery holder case.  Nigel Cudgel has run over some pretty rough
roads the last two years with this arrangement, and it seems to work
all right.
        Lew Dove