Greg's oil-slick machine

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Greg's oil-slick machine
From: montes@postoffice.utas.edu.au
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 1994 14:29:24 -1000
 I don't think that SU fuel pumps will handle oil. A much better
alternative, proven and with additional benefits is the following:
>From your parts bin or friendly wreckers procure:
-oil pump from any car, preferably with short length of shaft attached, as
in the case of camshaft driven pumps.
-windscreen wiper motor and switch
-a 30 cm. length of thick walled rubber gas hose, about 5/16" I.D.
- some 2 m of garden hose( 1/2 " I.D.) or similar.
-3 Jubilee clips ( hose clips)
-a used 2 gallon container (oil, garden spray,w.h.y.)with a detachable lid.
- a 3" length of 1/2 " copper or aluminium tubing and some epoxy glue

 The 1/2" copper tube is epoxied to the output hole of the pump and once the
epoxy has cured the garden  hose can be secured there with one clip.This
garden hose passes through a hole in the lid.The oil pump is screwed to a
length of 2x4 wedged into the container, so that the strainer of the pump is
1/2" from the bottom, and the shaft vertical. The length of gas hose and 2
clips are used to join the windscreen wiper motor and the oil pump through a
hole in the lid, the motor is actually epoxied to a length of 2x4 screwed to
the lid.
If you have followed me, you have an oil pump securely mounted at the bottom
of a 2 gallon container, it's output conveyed through a garden hose. All
that is left is to fill the container with oil,replace the lid, attach the
end of the windscreen wiper motor to the ruber hose and wire  the motor
through the switch to a convenient hot point.
If you are so inclined, you _can_ use this device to provide the oil slick
by attaching the end of the garden hose to the perforated pipe described by
Greg Meboe.What are the additional benefits mentioned before ?
This device is wonderful pump for replenishing the gearbox and back axle. I
dislike intensely the smell and feel of Hypoid 90W that most of the british
cars use, so hand pumps are out of question.No credit here as the original
idea came from "Practical Motoring", that quaint British magazine for the
impecunious dilettante, required reading when I started messing with lbc's
in the 50's . I have made various versions, both hand powered as described
in PM ,and with electric motors. The latest uses a Hillman Minx oil pump and
a Holden (Australian GM) windscreen wiper motor.But many other pump/motors
can be used.

Sergio
Sergio Montes
Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering
University of Tasmania
Hobart,Tasmania,Australia         Fax: 61-002-234611
                        e-mail: sergio.montes@cmech.utas.edu.au