Christmas Tale

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Christmas Tale
From: TR7Driver@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 21:52:59 -0500
                          The Night Before Christmas

T'was the night before Christmas and out in the yard
     not a British car was running; they'd been driven too hard

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care
     in hopes that St. Leyland soon would be there

The children were nestled all snug in their beds
     while visions of highways danced in their wee little  heads

And Mama in her Nomex and I in mine, too
     thought a cross-county rallye was the right thing to do

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter
     it was like a bad clutch; you know how they chatter

Away to the window I flew in a dash
     into those panes I nearly did crash

Then what did my wondering eyes look at and see?
     A miniature Rolls, Triumphs and Healeys, and a bunch of MGs

With a little old driver rantin' and ravin'
     I knew in a moment it must be St. Leyland

More rapid than eagles his autos they came
     as he yelled and screamed and called them by name

Now Spitfire, now Daimler, now Midget and Lagonda
     On Riley, on Sterling, on Sprite and - oh NO - not a Honda?!

To the top of the garage, to the top of the wall
     drive away, drive away, drive away all

So up to the house top the autos they flew
     The Rolls full of car parts and St. Leyland, too

As I drew in my head and was turning around
     down the chimney came St. Leyland with a bound

He was dressed like a mechanic from his head to his foot
     and he reeked of WD-40 and ashes and soot

A great bunch of parts he had flung in his pack
     with names like Lucas and Girling - I was taken aback

His nose, how it wrinkled!  His eyes, how they could glisten!
     Like the dealer's when he said, "You need a new transmission."

His feet they were covered in oil, which was kind of nifty
     until I saw on my rugs footprints of 20W50

He was chubby and plump - a jolly old mechanic
     but the sight of him would send my Triumph into a panic

He spoke not a word but took from his sack
     a new Jaguar fender all painted in black

And putting his finger aside of his nose
     in a wink, up the chimney he rose

He sprang to his Rolls, to his cars gave a whistle
     And away they all flew like a Sidewinder missile

But I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight
     Merry Christmas and Happy British Motorcar Driving to All

copywrite 1992 Jim Finn 3364