Re: starter woes

To: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: starter woes
From: LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 94 10:46:54 CST
Subject: starter woes
Author:  gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date:    10/31/94  10:37 AM

Winter must be approaching - because I am having the same
problem on the Midget, that I have been having the past 3 winters.

<...>

Do I have a dying starter ? This morning I just kept the starter button
dpressed for about 20 seconds, opened the hood, and felt that the
starter was warm, but still did not have the "guts" to turn the engine
over.

Anybody have other clues ?
gerry

    I'll bet you have a weak starter. This happened on my GT6. I thought
    the alternator wasn't charging the battery correctly, because
    the starter sounded really pathetic. I finally bought a new
    starter and the difference was
    amazing! I suppose it's a combination of bearings getting bad, plus the
    brushes wearing, plus the commutator getting dirty, stuff like that.
    I assume a complete rebuild would fix the problem, too.