RE: British Cars Digest #1422 Thu Oct 27 16:08:51 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: British Cars Digest #1422 Thu Oct 27 16:08:51 MDT 1994
From: Ray James <rwj4123@sigma.tamu.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 94 07:57:09 PDT
>I'd suggest that you just
>loosen the belt on the pump to keep the bearings from wearing out
>and keep the drag on the motor to a minimum, but don't remove it.

That isn't a good idea.  If the belt is tight enought to turn the pump (without
slip),
you will have the same power demand on the engine.  If it is loose enough that
the power
demand is reduced, you will have a lot of slip, and probably lose the belt.  If
you want
to disable the pump in an easily restorable fashion for a trial, just remove
the belt if
it only drives the pump, or fit a shorter belt to drive the other components
without
driving the pump.  I have no idea how much this will increase emissions, or
whether any
other modifications might be needed.

My 1500 Midget was modified by PO when adding a Weber DGV--pump removed and
ports to
manifold plugged.  It runs great today, though undoubtedly pollutes a bit more.
 We do
not yet have air pollution problems to trigger tailpipe inspections in this
part of the
state.  Still, I probably won't disable the pump on the other car I'm working
on--I
don't believe that the pump represents a significant load.

Name: Ray W. James
Texas Transportation Institute
Civil Engineering Department, Texas A&M University
E-mail: Ray James <rwj4123@sigma.tamu.edu>
Date: 10/28/94
Time: 07:57:09