Re: Picking on Land Rovers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Picking on Land Rovers
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 94 14:11:49 -0700
In message <Pine.A32.3.91.941027162544.101382C-100000@moose.uvm.edu> Ms Jan
Hilborn writes:

>  Hmmm, well I feel I have a little experience to add to this debate.
>
>  Four years ago I drove my 1967 88' (full length canvas, 7.50x16 tyres,
> working overdrive, and good stereo) around the USA. I drove about 15,000
> miles in about 6 weeks. I drove on interstate highways (keeping up with
> the main bit of traffic, although not racing the hot rods) and on back
> roads and on no roads at all.
>  The truck held up quite well, I was comfortable (except for a blizzard
> in Montana when I didn't have my Canvas on tightly enough), and I really
> enjoyed the trip. So did my dog.
>
>  Sure, sure, so that was a vacation and vacations are not a fair
> comparison to everyday, real life driving.
>
>  When I came home to Vermont I took a job driving all around the west
> side of the state. I averaged 200 miles a day, 4-5 days a week and I did
> this job for nearly 4 years driving my Land Rover on Intersate highways,
> back roads, and no roads at all. Whenever Federales or University bigwigs
> came to visit our programs they were sent out on the road with me, in the
> Land Rover, to see the state. I never received any complaints about the ride.
> (they were probably terrified speechless and unable to voice a complaint...).
>
>  Certainly Land Rovers are not for everyone. If you want to be buffered
> and insulated from the world; if you want to be totally unaware of what
> you are driving or even that you are driving; if you want to feel like
> you are at home on the couch watching a video of the world go by....
>       ...then buy a car.
>
>  i've been driving a land rover for over 15 years and i like the damn
> things a lot.
>
>  jan

SO here is another woman's impression of long distance Land Rover driving.
Maybe the Land Rover is a woman's car & just too rough for men on the British
car list???? :*)  :*)   ;*)

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561