Motor er.. Engine er.. Motor er.. Engine

To: Vern Klukas <vernk@carver.DataFlux.BC.CA>
Subject: Motor er.. Engine er.. Motor er.. Engine
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 10:40:23 -31702 (PDT)
On Wed, 26 Oct 1994, Vern Klukas wrote:

> >From Chip Old:
>
> >> Well, if you want to pick nits, "motor" is used correctly only as in
> >> electric motor, while "engine" refers to internal combustion or steam
>
> So ya wanta pick nits, eh? Nit wise, a motor is any device providing
> movement that does not have a self-contained source of energy. Doesn't have
> to electric, doesn't have to go round, just needs an energy source to go. A
> engine is self-contained, a so-called "prime mover." So, in the case of the
> Vern

Being both a motorhead (Enginehead?), and also being among engineers, (a
group who is always right), I've heard both of these given as the
official definition.
        I think perhaps when these things came out near the turn of the
century, knowledgeable people wanted to make a clear distinction.  But
these days, I think the dictionary acts as a clear barometer of public
opinion; engine and motor are for most intents and purposes, synonymous.
        In other words, no one really cares.

        Greg Meboe