$400 Big Healeys

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: $400 Big Healeys
From: gary1@holly.mt.att.com (Gary C Smith +1 908 957 6402)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 94 08:34:06 EDT
I have been reading this summary for a few months.
I finally can no longer resist adding my comments
about $400 Big Healeys.

I own two Healey BJ8s (3000 MKIIIs) that were,
at least at the time I bought them, "reasonably priced".
Even though I was familiar with British cars,
the structural details of Big Healeys were unknown to me
when I bought these cars.  Although the
basic structure is now described in
some books, I found it difficult to visualize
until I took one completely apart.

I have owned my '64 Phase 1 for about 20 years.
After driving this car occasionally for most of
this time, I am now finally getting around to
fixing up what was wrong when I bought it.
I bought my 66 Phase 2 as a "Parts Car"
about 10 years ago for not too much
more than the car in question.
This car was clearly a "failed restoration",
but it is mostly complete, and restorable.

On an economic basis, CraigR would do well to take
the advice of George Haynes and forget the whole idea.
Why would someone sell off the major components
needed to put the car back on the road?
I know that these parts are too big and heavy
to misplace or overlook when you move.
I guess it is possible that during some
freak natural disaster, the drive train components
of a rust free California car undergoing restoration
fell into a fault during an earthquake and were lost,
but I think it is more likely
that this car was "parted out" and
the valuable parts were sold.

However just in case someone is crazy
enough to try this project,
replacement components are probably available,
at a price.
I think the real question is:  Might there be
enough value left in a $400 Healey
with no drive train for a start on a total
restoration?

The following items might be valuable to a
prospective Healey restorer:

Title/Documentation - The right to own a pre-smog/safety
      regulation car that in its original, unaltered state
      has some performance potential may be of value someday.
      In particular, the title to a car, like the Healey,
      that still has most parts available and probably could be
      built from these parts (although at a great expense)
      may be valuable to someone.  Perhaps someone with
      a complementary collection of spare parts, but
      no documentation might find this interesting.

Frame - Healey "frames" are somewhat different from more
        traditional British car frames.  They are
        relatively thin metal box section
        with extensive front and rear bulkheads made
        from sheet metal pressings.
        Aluminum "shrouds" are attached to the bulkheads
        much like the plastic panels of a modern Fiero.
        I think the factory used mostly pop rivets
        which are then hidden by body filler.
        Steel fenders are bolted to the bulkheads/shrouds.
        Replacement frames are available
        but often these do not include the bulkheads.
        Solid floors and inner sills are critical in
        maintaining the alignment of the two bulkheads.
        If the bulkheads are not aligned properly,
        the doors will not close and the body work
        will not fit.  A really good frame is
        the basis of a good restoration.
        I think TeriAnn Wakeman's experiences
        with TR3 doors are quite similar to Healey doors.
        I think some Healey restorations get into trouble
        when the components will not fit back
        on a frame that was welded up in a careless manner.

Shrouds - These sometimes corroded due to electrolytic
        action if the stainless steel fender beads
        were not replaced and the seam "bondoed over"
        in a misguided attempt at a custom paint job.
        Collision damage is also a very real possibility.
        Repair kits are available, but good aluminum shrouds
        without a lot of body filler are desirable.

Fenders -  One steel replacement fender costs more than
        this whole car. Good original fenders are
        more desirable because replacements
        have a reputation of not fitting
        like the originals.  In defense of the replacements,
        it is possible that the factory used
        selective assembly to match fenders to shrouds
        or that the underlying structure has been distorted
        so that even original parts will not fit.
        Matching, intact, original fenders and shrouds
        are desirable.  It is difficult to mix
        original components from different cars.

Misc. parts. -  Even though major parts are missing,  how
        many parts remain?  It is possible to find replacements
        for many parts.  However, if almost everything has to
        be purchased as a replacement, the cost is
        certain to add up to more than an intact car.
        Unfortunately, if you do not have a inventory
        of all the items that should be there, it is
        hard to judge what is missing.  Basic economics
        would seem to indicate that a lot is missing
        on the car in question.  If there are many good parts,
        they could be sold at swap meets or used
        to reduce the cost of some other Healey restoration.

        Gary Smith

        64 Austin Healey BJ8 (Phase 1) - Might run again next year
        66 Austin Healey BJ8 (Phase 2) - Completely disassembled