re: Synthetic oils

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Synthetic oils
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 12:48:29 -0800
Paul Swengler said:

>Synthetic oils don't break down and don't absorb petrolium byproducts in
>the sump. I also recommend synthetic in the transmission and differential.

Can the changeover be done at oil change time, (in the gearbox or diff) or
do I need to tear it all down to flush out the old stuff first?  I'm a
little curious, and I know that you shouldn't mix DOT5 brake fluid with
earlier fluid to get full benefit.  (No, I don't use DOT5/silicone brake
fluid, and am not considering it.  I don't mean to start a thread on it.)
Thanks!  sf

Stan Fickes                             British Cars
Wireless Communication Technologies     1951 MGTD
Advanced Technology Group               1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
Apple Computer, Inc.
408 974-7653