re: Lucas & Armor All

To: Colin Brace <BRACEC@a1.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject: re: Lucas & Armor All
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 11:40:13 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 19 Oct 1994, Colin Brace wrote:

>           Second, Do Not gat Armor All and any other silicone based
>           protectants on your paint, it could very well fish eye when
>           repainted, even when stripped to bare metal. the better way to
>           apply these products is carefully, with a cloth, so as not to get
>           any on the paint. I can provide citations, if required.

It *is* a good idea to be careful where one sprays this stuff.  In fact, I
don't use Armor All much at all, since it does little except make parts
shiny that were not meant to be shiny.  However, when one repaints a car,
I would wager that Armor All on the paint is not all that different from
the polymers in a great many polishes and waxes.  The first step in
repainting a panel or a whole car is to get the original surface clean.  I
wash it thoroughly and I then go over it several times with silicone and
wax remover and rolls of clean paper towels.  If you start sanding and
grinding, without first cleaning the dirt, oil, wax, grease, and silicone
off you may well grind all the crud in and end up with residue that can
cause problems.  I also use wax remover again after surface prep and
before each application of primer or paint, but that is mostly because air
sanders and my hands will leave oil on the finish that must be removed.
For added safety, it used to be possible to add a fish-eye preventer to
the paint; I don't know if it still is.

I will add another helpful hint on cleaning.  When you have a spot on your
finish that no solvent will touch, try rubbing it with a cloth moistened
with pure silicone liquid.  That may work when nothing else will,
especially on tree sap. If you subsequently have that car painted, warn
the painter that you have done this, and he/she should be able to cope.

Ray "They paint cars in Silicone Valley, don't they?" Gibbons

(yeah, I know, silicon)