My horn still doesn't work!!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: My horn still doesn't work!!
From: Charles.Y.Farwell@att.com
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 17:00:25 -0600
        Thanks for all the replies to my previous query about a broken
        TR4 horn. I believe I have isolated the problem:

        1) the steering column has continuity all the way from horn
        button to pinion gear

        2) the steering rack housing is grounded

        3) the horn works like a charm *if* I jumper between the rack
        housing and the top of the pinion gear (just below the lowest
        rubber bushing)

        What's the deal?? I guess there is supposed to be electrical
        continuity between the rack and the pinion gears to make that
        final connection to ground, but it's not happening!!

        Is there supposed to be _conductive_ grease in the steering
        gears? Could someone have filled the rack housing with
        _non-conductive_ lubricant? What is the RC constant of 90-weight
        anyway? Am I losing my mind?

I've fallen...
Charlie
1962 TR4 #CT3852L (Mute)