Sorry I missed you (was: My Summer Vacation).

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, rwg1@cornell.edu
Subject: Sorry I missed you (was: My Summer Vacation).
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 23:56:50 -0700
On Tue, 11 Oct 1994, Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Tilly and I had a great time in the Bay area in August.

I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the insipid drivel on the
brit-cars list. If you announced that you were going to be in the Bay Area,
sorry, but I must have missed it.

> Morning saw us on out way to meet "TA-Terry" Saunders at the Blackhawk
> Auto museum over towards Berkley,

Berk_e_ley, actually. We may be funny about that, but we prefer it spelled
that way.

> on our way up to my brother's in Point Richmond.

I live about a stonesthrow from Point Richmond, at Richmond Marina Bay.

> We motored on up to Point Richmond, where we spent several days visiting
> my brother & family, munching goodies from their bakery, and enjoying their
> view of the Bay, and the fog.

We didn't have much fog in August, as far as I remember. I actually live
_on_ the Bay (on my boat). You can't get much closer to the Bay than that.

I think there's only one bakery in Point Richmond. I don't remember the name,
but it's almost directly across the street from Hotel Mac. Is that the one?

I hope you had a chance to check out the food at Hotel Mac. When I was
younger and wealthier, I used to go there for their Sunday champagne brunch.

> Wednesday brought us back to the San Jose area, including a stop-off at Mini
> Mania to get bits for the race car, and have a look around. Neat place. Don
> said he was amazed by the number of you folks who called up asking for their
> new Sprite catalogue, because you had heard about it on the Internet!

I called them up and asked for their new Sprite catalog, 'cuz I heard about
it on the Internet! I used to be on their mailing list, but they dropped me,
probably because I never could afford to buy any of their *neat stuff*.

> That night, we had a gathering of *15* or more SOL'ers for dinner at
> Stoddards Pub. I don't think I can name everyone who was there, but it was
> great to finally meet up with the likes of (names of Bay Area folks deleted)

Most of the Bay Area SOL gatherings seem to take place on the *other* side
of the Bay, or in the South Bay area. I can think of a number of good places
to meet in the East Bay, if anyone is interested.

> On the way back from Santa Cruz, we detoured through Big Basin,

Ah, yes! My favorite roads for driving fast and recklessly! Another good
drive is the road from Santa Cruz over Mt. Madonna to Morgan Hill. After I
drive that road at 75 MPH, I usually have to lick myself and look at myself
in the mirror (Madonna joke, get it?) to make sure that I survived it.

 -- Flemming Larsen                 "Welcome to the Information Superhighway,
    flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu         AOLers, please keep to the right."

    1964 Lotus Seven    (Some assembly required)
    1974 Triumph TR-6   (Waiting for parts from TRF)
    1967 Volvo 123GT    (Series 1, 2 cylinders, 3 doors, GT="Green Tractor")