Re: Oiling springs to improve the quality of life.

To: meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu (Greg Meboe)
Subject: Re: Oiling springs to improve the quality of life.
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 20:33:19 -0700 (PDT)
Greg Meboe wrote:

> I must cry foul on this one. The loads induced into the spring are on the
> order of hundreds and sometimes thousands of pounds.  The sideways
> frictional forces produced by some gunk infront of the path of the spring
> is no match.
>       If you follow trig, you'll know that the spring pushes out with
> force that is proportional to the tangent of the spring arc ***** NO
> STOP, SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE HIM STOP!!
>       Ok, I'll stop.

**** Why stop?  It was just getting interesting...   I can't visualize the
``tangent'', although I can understand that the forces become enormous
as the spring approaches straightness.

   I bet that rust and goo, although they couldn't stop the spring's
progress, could make it sqawk a bit.

   I believe that the best way to attain a comfortable ride, is to have
the springs re-arced and tempered.  Because the old worn ones sag down
to where the spring is nearly straight, and the body just can't go down
any further without tearing the spring out of its mounts.  Which doesn't
leave much compliance when you go over a bump.

  At Triumphest I saw brand new shiny TR3 springs for $60 or so.  I was sore
tempted.  I bet having them re-arched costs just as much....

                                  - Jerry Kaidor