Re: Wouldn't a gremlin have been more sensible?

To: adooley@umr.edu (Andrew Dooley)
Subject: Re: Wouldn't a gremlin have been more sensible?
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 21:00:10 -0700 (PDT)
Andrew Dooley wrote:

> apart.  This was when I discovered another charming feature of the Midget:
> when there is a problem with the carburetor, it will leak gas directly onto
> a big, hot piece of metal bolted to the engine block.  After the fuel has
> warmed up a bit, it drips from there directly onto the exhaust manifold.
> I'm sure this will prove lots of fun after the engine has warmed up.

**** Believe it or not, ``that's a feature''.  They could have put the
carbs and exhaust on opposite sides;  actually better performance that way;
but it was deemed safer to have gasoline drip on the exhaust manifolds rather
than on the ignition system.  The manifolds get mighty hot, that's true,
but not as hot as a spark.

                         - Jerry Kaidor