Re: TR steering gear earthing

To: "PHIL JONES<PHIL.JONES@BBSRC.AC.UK>" <phil.jones@afrc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: TR steering gear earthing
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 10:31:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 12 Oct 1994, PHIL JONES<PHIL.JONES@BBSRC.AC.UK> wrote:

> Charlie asked about the failure of his TR4 horn to work.  On the TR6 the
> steering column is earthed by a strap from the rack to the shassis.  On my 6
> there is a strap under the nut/grease nipple on top of the rack gear box down
> the chassis.  Had to make sure I had a star washer under it to get good
>earth.
> Wires across rubber ujs on the column provide continuity to horn.

There was no ground strap on the rack on very early TR4s like Charlie's
(and mine), and none should be needed.  Unlike the rubber-mounted rack on
later TR4s (and TR5/250/6), the rack in the early TR4 is solidly mounted
on stalks that extend up from the chassis.  There is metal to metal
contact (unless it's fouled by too much paint), so the rack is grounded
through its mounting.  The only ground straps in an early TR4 steering
column are those which carry the ground around the two rubber flex joints
between the three segments of the column.  If those straps are intact,
Charlie should have good ground right up to the horn switch.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu