regarding coils and resistance

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: regarding coils and resistance
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 94 07:47:29 EDT
Fellow fiends:

I should ask myself why I am going public with such a demonstration of lack
of knowledge, but I won't.  Regarding my explanation of the coil problem
(see "humble pie, revisited") I don't for certain know that that explanation
is correct.  I was really just passing along the explanation of a local car
guy (who sounded like he knew what he was talking about) in a cleverly
disguised format.  Now you've got me curious.  Let's see...

My trusty physics text (Scott #1 should be shouting "run away!" about now)
says that V=IR  (Ohm's law).  So, if currant is held constant, and
resistance is increased, then...oops, voltage *increases!*  Well, end of
lecture!  I guess my explanation doesn't work so well.  Yes, I think its
about time for someone who knows what he/she is talking about to speak up
before this thread gets completely out of control.

Any ee types out there?  Speak up!  The happiness of more than one
individual may depend upon it!

Will "at least the car knows how to work" Zehring