XJ-6 Acceleration problem

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: XJ-6 Acceleration problem
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 12:52:13 -31702 (PDT)
Ok, I think I've got it now. I know why the XJ-6 doesn't accelerate well
in forward gears, but does in reverse.
        The driver is rather large, but with short legs.  So the seat is
all the way forward, but his (her?) feet don't quite reach the pedals.
Couple this with the fact that the seat mounting bolts are loose, and
the dual-quad supercharged 427 conversion kit from John's Cars under the
hood, and the problem is simple.
        Driver steps on gas in forward gear.  Driver moves immediately
rearward, (F=ma). Foot pressure is decreased and car doesn't accelerate
quite so much.  This is a quick, repeating cyclic phenomenon, resulting
in the jerking motion described.
        In reverse gear, the driver is propelled toward the front of the
car, and immediate rearward acceleration of the car is observed, without
any jerking.
        How's that?    Care to comment on this phenomenon for us Roland?

                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu