Re: Stereotypes & Spit camber

To: meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
Subject: Re: Stereotypes & Spit camber
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 15:40:42 EDT
> From meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu Tue Oct 11 15:17:35 1994
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 12:05:57 -31702 (PDT)
> From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
> Subject: Re: Stereotypes & Spit camber
> To: Douglas Mitchell <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
> Cc: Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
>
> > Douglas Mitchell writes:
>
> > Actually, under the condition as described, buddies on trunk, etc., the
> > camber will be positively affected. The spring in the Spit is a transverse
> > leaf spring, not a coil. And since it sits on top of the axle, and attaches
> > to the top of the trunions, it tends to push the top of the tires out. At
>
>       Doug, If you load up the rear of a spit, camber doesn't go
> positive, it goes negative.   I'm assuming we're using the traditional
> definition of camber: negative means the tops of the tyres are farther
> inward than the bottoms, and positive means the tops are farther outward.
>       The transverse spring doesn't connect directly to the hub, this
> is only so on the roto-flex equipped GT-6's.  Instead, the spring bolts
> to the vertical link, which has a central pivot on the hub itself.  So
> the angle of the vertical link on the spit is independent of the hub and
> hence the wheel.  The spring doesn't 'push out' on the wheel, it only
> pushes downward on the hub.
>       Camber compensators that attatch to the bottom of the vertical
> link inhibit transverse movement of the vertical link, and therefore
> actually 'bind' the suspension in a central location.  As a result,
> they're somewhat uncomfortable on the road.

Yep, you are right, my mind went temporarily blank while trying to
visualize the Spit rear end. I still stand by what I originally posted
though, replacing the spring will have negligible effect on the rear
camber. I don't understand why, and I don't think that the Triumph
engineers understood it entirely, but it squats. Unfortunately, unlike
the squat on the Corvette, it doesn't go away as you speed up. I have had
several cars with swing axles, and only the Spitfire has a severe camber
problem over time. The Corvair, for all its foibles, (get out your Funk
& Wagnels), by 1963 had eliminated the swing tuck, and was a much more
stable car. Now if only I could retrofit a leaf spring on the bottom...
Hmmm...

Doug Mitchell - Going to remedy the camber on my Spitfire yet.