RE: Oil Spots and Minis

To: british cars post note <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Spots and Minis
From: "Keinath, Steve" <keinath@ml-mail.newark.af.mil>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 13:03:00 DST
In his previous posting, Craig asked about removing oil spots/stains from
the driveway.

Well......................................

It just so happens that Suzy, my TR-6 just just the other day dumped most of
her crankcase all over the driveway, a-la Ken Streeter's "it's not a leak,
it's f***ing pouring out!"  Right away, I grabbed the oil-dry and got most
of the wet stuff up.  However, after the oil-dry, I was still left with thin
oil spots and an oil-dry stain on both the concrete and asphalt sections of
the driveway.  While at my local Loews (Builder's Square, Stambaughs,
do-it-yourself hardware/lumber store, etc.), I asked what they recommended.
 There's a simple product in the household cleaning section called Driveway
Cleaner, of all things.  It sells by the quart or by the gallon, and is made
by the Parks company.  I paid about $5.87 for the gallon.  You just pour the
stuff on the spots, scrub it a little with a brush or push broom, let it sit
for 10-15 min, and hose it off with water.  It's supposed to be
environmentally safe and won't harm grass/shrubs/flowers, etc.  Don't ask me
what's in the stuff 'cuz I'm not a chemist, but it looks like clear water.
 It sure didn't look like it had the umph to do the job, since there's no
apparent caustic or breath-taking odor to it.  BUT IT WORKS!  If you have
trouble finding it, send me a direct e-mail, and I'll get the supplier's
information from my local dealer.     :-)

Steve Keinath

 '74 TR-6, '87 Honda Accord, '86 Chev S-10, '86 Chev Nova,
Metrologist (measurement, not weather)                          '81 Ford
Escort Wagon (I'll buy anything), assorted boats,
Foreign Military Sales Branch
                                            motorcycles, (stupid me, sold my
Volvo and my TR-4).
Aerospace Guidance and Metrology Center
Newark AFB OH
                                                                         Why
must the top down season be so short in Ohio?
keinath@ml-mail.newark.af.mil
[all opinions are mine, not USAF nor Uncle Sam's]