Mini's and M.I.N.I

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Mini's and M.I.N.I
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 1994 9:42:22 MDT
Alan (COSTICH_ALAN/HPATC1_01@i3125ent.atl.hp.com) wrote:

>On 03OCT, Marcel Chichak offered a MINI mailing list. I sent
>my address to the address that was listed. Nothing has come
>back. Marcel? I don't own a mini. Does that mean I can't play?

Naw, you can play. There's been a little problem though. My gooroo has
just informed me that the server for M.I.N.I was made by Lucas! He says
he's going to rewire it this weekend. I'll keep your ID handy and make
sure you're on the list when it's back up. Anyone else wanna join the
fun? James?

>Maybe I am not of the correct stereotype.

It's OK, from my end of the keyboard I can't tell you're a dog! ;-)
                                      (copyright Farside?)

CraigR3454@aol.com worte:

Subject: oil spots and Minis

Fellow SOLers,

>Second is, what are Minis like? How similar would they be to my Bugeye? (It
>has a 1275 engine in it)...

I wish I could answer this for you. Your best bet is to get hold of the
local Mini club and borrow a car for a spin. Where are you at? I'll look
up a local contact for you.

>The article also mentions that the original Mins only had a 34 horse
>engine. What does a more modern Mini have in it?

The first Mini's were 850 cc and burped out a neck breaking 34 HP. Then
Mr. Cooper got his grease stained hands on them and upped the HP.
Standard capacities go to 1275 these days. With a healthy injection of $
(or #) you can squeeze ~1400 cc and  ~130-140 hp out of a 1275.

>What does a Mini in good running conditon (currently being driven on a
>regular basis) cost if you were to purchase one?

Depends upon where you are, what spec you want (if you even have a
choice) and which model. There's a really good 1976 in the local rag
today for $600. Decent bangers can run around $1000 to $1500, Coopers in
the $5-7000 range, Cooper S's in the $10-15000 range.

On the home front: Work is progressing on the '69 Cooper restoration.
I'm astounded by the number of stress cracks a 6'5" 250 lb driver (not me!)
can put into a body shell just by driving it! The floor cross channel had
most of the spot welds ripped out, the seat mount nuts fatigued, hand
brake bracket and steering column mount all had to be re-fused. I'll be
ready for paint on the underside by next weekend, weather permitting.

*Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut | Go in deeper, come out  *
*voice (403)466-6004                |harder and come from     *
*Edmonton, Alberta, Canada          |behind!, That's what it's*
*chichm@supernet.ab.ca              |like to race a Mini!     *
'69 Morris Cooper, 39,999.9 Miles and counting!

P.S. Yes, I do own a Volvo. A '92 245 (ie. 240 series 5 door eh?) which
is just about broken in at 43000 km. It replaced a '78 244 that had a
quarter million km on it and was running just fine thankyou. And who can
blame me for owning one? You can't fit 2 child safety seats in a Mini no
matter how hard you try.