today's quiz, hint #1

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: today's quiz, hint #1
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 08:24:10 EDT
Fellow fiends:

Okay, even though I get brit-cars in digest form I have also directly
received four proposals for the answer to my quiz:

"One time a fellow with an XJ6 came into the shop with the following
problem.  The car ran fine at idle, but would misfire badly under hard
acceleration.  Interestingly, it would run fine under hard acceleration, BUT
ONLY IF IT WAS IN REVERSE, moving backwards.
What is the explanation?"

I will say that so far the suggestions are ALTOGETHER TOO LOGICAL.  People
are pointing to bad engine mounts, fuel starvation, and such.  You folks
actually think the answer to this is logical????  I must say that so far Ken
Streeter is the warmest.  He suggested that the orientation of the coil was
such that the high tension lead was stretched (weakening the contact) during
forward acceleration, but not with reverse acceleration.  I'm not saying
he's right, I'm not even saying his proposal is really plausable (as I
understand it), but I am saying he's the closest.  So... hint #1: it *does*
indeed have to do with the coil, and it *does* also have to do with the way
the coil is mounted.

Any new/modified proposals?  I will post the correct answer before the end
of the week.

Will "Isn't this fun?" Zehring