Re: Spitfire camber/caster

To: WATSON@wmich.edu
Subject: Re: Spitfire camber/caster
From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 94 10:07:18 EDT
Margaret,

>OK. My first serious question. I had a wheel alignment done on the Spit and
>there is still a problem with the camber and the caster. Front right caster
>is supposed to be +4.00 and it's +2.31.

I can't recall any adjustment on the suspension that could fix this; one
would have to move the inboard wishbone mountings in the inboard or outboard
direction to change caster.  One thing to recommend, though, is to check the
integrity of the rubber bushings.  If they are falling apart, caster would
be affected.

>The back wheel camber is supposed to
>be -1.00 and the left is -1.17 and the right is -0.47. Any suggestions?

Count your blessings!  :)  The spring is perenially weak, and Spitfires tend
to list to the left (usually having only one person aboard).  The swing
axle suspension couples camber quite directly to roll, so the fix is to
get a new or rebuilt spring, and also check the bushings.  The numbers you
have are not that bad, though!

>Margaret Watson
>margaret.watson@wmich.edu    '78 Spit

        Tim Drabik