Re: OK, Time To Get Serious About The Carbs

To: british-cars@triumph.cs.utah.edu, lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com
Subject: Re: OK, Time To Get Serious About The Carbs
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 12:36:20 -0500

> Most of the stuff on my GT6+ is working pretty well at the moment (quick,
> must find some wood to knock on...) and now I've got to fix the ridiculous
> 2500 RPM idle on this car. I currently yank out the choke to slow it down
> at intersections, but this just fouls the plugs.
>
> Now, I've replaced the head on this car, and I'm pretty sure there are
> no leaks in the manifold/head area.
>
> I had the carbs off when I replaced the exhaust manifold a few weeks
> ago, and the throttle plates appear to be closing completely, as far
> as I can tell.
>
> I have some questions:
>
> 1. If there is an air leak at the base of the carbs, or the manifold,
>    why would that make it run faster, since it wouldn't be coming through
>    the carb body, so the needle wouldn't be raising and letting more
>    fuel in? The car seems to be running rich.
>
> 2. The brass seats for the needles appear to be 1/4" or more below the
>    base of the chamber in the carb body. On the 175CDSEs on my TR250,
>    the seat is just a little bit (1/32") below the carb body. But,
>    according to the book, these seats are pressed into the carb body.
>    Is this true? Could someone have removed them and not pressed them
>    in correctly?

I know what is wrong....

You have a GT6+.....the carbs have that little plastic cover on the sides of
them???

Well, remove this, and you will find a little bimettalic strip which when
should plug the hole it covers. It is some sort of crappy attempt at
emmisions. Just screw the bimetallic strip down HARD so the hole is
permanently blocked....this is where the air is leaking in to make
it idle high!

marcus

P.S. A TR mechanic said he sees this all the time on these carbs