Stereotypical old men and lbc's

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Stereotypical old men and lbc's
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 10:14:00 -0400 (EDT)
Re: Stereotypes and thumbnail sketches-- Me, 55 going on 56.  WASP Male.
English/scottish/french, and who knows what else ancestry.  Recently
single, otherwise not detectably macho.  I try to be a modern, sensitive,
communicating man, but I generally do that as badly as I do macho.

Med. Ht., med. wt. (ok, a little more than medium wt. but not much).  Hair
thin on top, damn near non-existent in back.  Hair and beard brown/grey.
Overeducated University type.  Like classical music, esp. classical
guitar, occasional country and western, irish folk music.  Unfulfilled
ambition is to learn fingerpicking style guitar.  Read a lot when I can
find the time.  Fair shade tree mechanic and amateur body worker.  I am a
middling competent carpenter and cabinet maker.  I can wire an electrical
outlet that won't kill anyone, and I have hung a bit of sheet rock.
Probably this is a reaction to those who say, "those who can't, teach." I
sometimes feel like exercise, but if I lay down a while or cook something
good to eat, I get over it.  I am a naturally messy person; I just
*cannot* get the hang of putting things away when I'm done with them.
Since I now live alone, this would be ok if it were not that I hate
messiness.  Among some 20 or more past cars were a Henry J, a Goliath, a
Studebaker, an Anglia, a Jeepster, 2 Model A Fords, 9 Toyotas, and a
partridge in a pear tree.

Present Cars:  1960 AH Sprite (Kermit).  Constructed over a 4 yr period
from two junk-yard refugees and lots of new parts.  I did all the
bodywork, welding, upholstery, painting, and suspension.  Everything, in
fact, except for the engine and transmission, which I farmed out to a pro
who did the engine (original 948) to stage IV tune.  Kermit was meant to
be leaf green, but a little brighter for visibility.  Some people like the
result and some hate it.  At shows, some who hate it tell me so.  When I
ask what they would have chosen, the response generally is Porsche Guards
Red.  The defense rests.  94 Accord LX sedan.  When the house is under
control, or something irresistable appears (whichever comes first), I will
probably buy another lbc to keep Kermit company.

The admission:  Kermit has not been driven much since he was finished in
Sept. 92.  Only just over 2K miles.  I don't know yet if this a permanent
thing, making me one of those 50-something guys with an LBC under cover,
or if it is temporary.  For 18 months, I had no place to keep him and he
was at my ex's house.  Driving him wasn't worth the hassle.  Now I have my
own house, but it needs so much work I have very little time to drive him.
Mileage is also kept down because Kermit is wonderful for short drives,
but he sounds a bit put out on long hauls.  So I sometimes decide against
trips that would involve long periods at 4000 rpm.  I have not driven him
to work much because I need to get a front bumper and a tonneau cover, and
a new roof and improved wiring have priority.

I might sell him someday, but only to a good home, and only for more than
he is worth.  Or I may keep him even if I just drive him occasionally on
back roads to make me feel better when I am in the dumps.  I may redo some
of my work when I get time; I'm not very happy with my restoration of his
bonnet.  Or I may look into importing a Sebring bonnet.  Or I may leave
his body as it is, add a 1275 and a lower numerical axle ratio, maybe a
datsun 5 speed, and run his ass off.  I won't do anything irreversible,
and anyway Kermit is not exactly an irreplacable '62 Ferrari GTO, and
anyway even if he were, he's mine.  He was so far gone that if I had not
restored him, nobody would have.  So, within reason, I figure I've earned
the right to do whatever I want.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910