TR7/8 (Austin 1100/Mini ??) CV joint boot

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Flying Wedges)
Subject: TR7/8 (Austin 1100/Mini ??) CV joint boot
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@HYDRO.ON.CA>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 14:23:05 -0400
The boot covering the front CV joint on the prop shaft is gone. When I
mentioned this the first time, I got a mesage from Phil Johnstone (I hope
I got your name right) about using an Austin 1100/Mini/Morris Minor boot,
along with the Wedge Tip on how to install it. A question on this: from
the description, it sounds like the rear CV joint, which doesn't really
have a boot in the usual sense, but more like a fancy grommet. Was this for
the *rear* joint? Are CV joint boots for Minis flat, or do they look like
regular CV joint boots? I'd like to know before I continue my search, in
that I'd like to ensure that I'm looking for the right part.

In the mean time, I could find nobody around here that had ever replaced a
CV joint boot on a TR7/8, I couldn't readily find a Mini boot, one local
supplier tried to convince me that TR7s don't have CV joints, and TRF tech
support said that they didn't have any (or ones for Minis), didn't know what
else would work, and wouldn't be comissioning a reproduction as nobody had
ever asked before (there's a lesson to be learned here...). My husband
found a UNI-FIT universal boot at a local hardware store (Crappy^H^H^H^H^H
^HCanadian Tire). We installed it yersterday, and it looked pretty good.
Unfortunately, it shredded and flung off on the highway about 40 km from our
house. The problem was, likely, that the front of the boot, which is the big
end, managed to wiggle out form under the clamp, as there is no "lip" on the
casing and the boot didn't have a little flange to fit in the casing's
groove. I might try again using a plastic zip tie instead of those silly
metal clamps, and make sure to get it on tighter...

Phil, does the Mini boot fit the front or the back joint? If it's the front
jont, where can I find a boot for an Austin 1000/Mini/Morris? Does anyone
in North America know what else might work for the front joint on a TR7/8?
It would be a pity to buy a whole new prop shaft for the lack of a rubber
boot.

Jody

jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto - '80 TR7 5 speed