Re: seat boosters, pillows and midget shims

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: seat boosters, pillows and midget shims
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 12:12:00 +0000
-> Presumably those who added the "this does not allow driver's seat
-> subsitutions" item to the Stock rules may also have been concerned
-> about deliberate weight reductions.  Often an OEM seat, particularly
-> nowdays, is very heavy whereas a typical aftermarket pseudo-racing
-> seat is not.

 A power bucket could weigh around 50 pounds.  An aluminum oval track
seat might weigh 5 or 6.  For less extreme examples you're probably
talking on the order of 10-20 pounds.  I really don't think a few pounds
is going to do much, not when you're talking about 100 pounds or more
difference in weight between drivers.

 If the SCCA is so concerned about safety and pleasing the holy
insurance company, I can't see why they're so opposed to the clear
safety advantages of a few simple, inexpensive adjustments.

 I guess the attitude is, "It's better to wreck or roll a car than to
give someone an even theoretical advantage over the SCCA Standard
Driver."

"Live to Flame - Flame to Live"    XJ900 TURBO   "Meet Jesus at 15psi"
Denizens of Doom M/C - rec.motorcycles usenet         DoD #978 xKotFAQ