Re- Fast Spridgets

To: "James Arnold" <jamesa@dougal.logica.co.uk>
Subject: Re- Fast Spridgets
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 25 Aug 1994 10:07:02 U
   Re:   Fast Spridgets
On Wed, 24 Aug 94 James Arnold wrote:

> I'm planning to build a fast road Midget, with as powerful
> an engine as is practical (both drivability and cost apply
> here).  What I want to know is whether the gear box is going
> to handle the power/torque.  Are straight cut g/boxes still
> round? and if so are they practical for a road car (No, I
> don't wear ear defenders usually).

> I'm also interested in what power I might get. I'd like as
> much as possible :)

> Vizard's book hints that 110 bhp is achievable for road use.

Straight cut gears are still around, at lease in the US from
sources like Mini Mania.  They're probably not too practical
for a road car if you want to carry on a conversation with a
passenger or listen to the radio while moving.  The gear box
will probably last longer than the rear axles.

While Vizard does discuss 100+ hp engines, I get the impression
that as you get over the 75-85 hp range, the life expectancy
goes down sharply.  This horsepower is produced by developing
very high RPMs, at least six to seven thousand.  This also limits
the life span of the engine.  If raw power and acceleration are
what you're after, a Spridget may not be the most logical
starting point.

I enjoy working on engines, but I prefer to drive the car.

Dave L.