Re: Fan Strikes - MGB, TR6, GT6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fan Strikes - MGB, TR6, GT6
From: rlegeai@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu (Randall Legeai)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 09:04:33 -0500
>From: KMWHEELER@ualr.edu
>Subject: MGB Fan/Radiator Disagreement
>
>I've had my B since 1986 (since I was 16!).  I've never had any trouble
>with fan strikes.  Is this commmon among B's?  Anyone else have this
>problem?  I guess the fan flexes more with age, or maybe it wasn't designed
>to be reved up to 5500 all the time.

Don't know about this problem with B's, but I've had problems with a TR-6
and a GT-6.  The problem with the TR6 was caused by exiting a driveway on a
VERY rainy day in
1977.  The bottom of the fan apparently got immersed in water, causing the
plastic fan blades to bend far enough forward to chop a nice round circle in
the radiator before they disintegrated.  The GT6 problem was a bit more
interesting.  On another rainy day about a year ago I made a rather abrupt
left turn and slid into the curb at about 2 mph.  I had expected no more
than a "bump" as the tires hit, but instead was treated to the sound of the
radiator being pushed into the fan.  Turns out that the radiator in the GT6
radiator extends  an inch or two below the frame member that supports it,
and if you aim your car just right at a curved curb that's just the right
height . . . . .   Made a heck of a mess!  Of course GT6 rads are pretty
rare, so I had this one re-cored, even though the bottom tank is badly
dented.  Hoping to fire it up next weekend.  Now if I could only replace
that Spitfire drive shaft and brake assembly that some "mechanic" installed
about a decade ago .. . . .
Randall Legeai                              rlegeai@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
Tulane University Government/Agency Affairs              (phn) 504/865-5758
327 Gibson Hall, 6823 St. Charles Ave.                   (fax) 504/865-5274
New Orleans, Louisiana  USA