Re: British Cars Digest #1331 Thu Aug 18 01:15:01 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1331 Thu Aug 18 01:15:01 MDT 1994
From: mike@twinpeaks.prc.com (Mike Ladwig)
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 09:42:40 -0500
>>robbp@healey_haven.esd.sgi.com (Robb Pryor) writes:
>In article <9408171431.AA11666@cns.cscns.com>, you write:
>|> I am restoring an A-H 3000 (basket case, literally). The center portion
>|> of
>|> dissimilar metal corrosion on my parts. I notice that after market parts
>|> fenders. However, I don't see this gasket in original A-H documentation.
>
>I have never seen reference to such a gasket.  No, I don't think it is,
>but
>it might be a good idea.  I've taken a part several Big Healeys and I've
>always found corrosion along those seams.

Mine was like this when I restored it.  I talked with some professional
restorers, and they recommended against these gaskets, which are not
original factory equipment.  What I decided to do was to coat both sides of
the fender and shroud flanges heavily with a hard latex goo.  I also used
rubber washers between the flanges where the bolts go.

This is far more protection than the factory put on them, and most of them
went 25 years that way before electrolytic corrosion was a problem.

mike.